Sunday 10 November 2013

Assessment item 1

a)   Define what social networking is in your own words

In the physical world, "social networking" is about engaging in social interaction and the building of relationships and connections between people. "Social networking" in the online world has the same meaning, but uses different methods of communication. I think the following quote from the module content sums it up well: “Social networking is the extension of personal relationships and community into the online environment” (Hay, L., Wallis, J., O'Connell, J., Crease, R., 2013). 
Social networking sites like Facebook, enable people to create and share content by posting pictures and messages. While other social media sites like Flickr and Youtube also allow users to publish their content online, the purpose of social networking is to interact and communicate with other users and to build an online community rather then just post content. 


b)   List what social networking technologies and sites you already use


I have not used many social networking technologies. For my work I read some blogs and facebook sites that provide information about latest book releases and reviews. But until I started this subject I didn’t have my own facebook or twitter account and had never created a blog.  

c)   Describe what you expect to learn from completing INF 506.

I have not had very much experience using social media/networking. As this technology has become so widely used I felt I really needed to start embracing it which is why I decided to take this subject. I am hoping it will help me to be more aware of the different social media technology available and to become more confident using it. I also expect to learn more about how social networking can be utilised by libraries to enhance services so that I can apply this in my own work.



No comments:

Post a Comment